Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for February, 2013

Ghost in the shell

The Japanese religion of Shinto believes that everything in nature has a soul, from an eagle to a bush to a pebble. Inspired by this, Louise Gaarmann & Anders Arhoj of Studio Arhoj designed a range of ceramic figures to haunt their studio:

Studio Arhoj - Ghosts 1 Studio Arhoj - Ghosts 2 Studio Arhoj - Ghosts 3

(via)

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

The rustler

This short film by Edson Oda tells the story of Fabiano, a young Mercenary who is hired to kill Death. The mixture of origami, illustration and stop motion is great, but the real draw is the way he combines them with a fourth wall-breaking view of the animator as he works. Very cool:

(via)

Read Full Post »

Type Delight by Nina Harcus:

type-delight2 type-delight3 type-delight1

(via)

Read Full Post »

Fly the nest

Origami poster for the Words Can Fly project, in aid of the victims of Fukushima:

Origami Poster 1 Origami Poster 2 Origami Poster 3

(via)

Read Full Post »

When the cookie crumbles

Cookie Monster by Paco Pomet:

Cookie Rebel

Read Full Post »

If you weren’t already sure that we’re living in the future…

Artist Heather Dewey-Hagborg 3D prints the faces of strangers she has never met, solely from the DNA they leave behind on pieces of chewing gum, strands of hair or cigarette butts that she picks up from the streets of New York city.

I’ve posted about scarily accurate 3D-printed faces before, but that was merely the mimicry of a model. This is conjuring up the face of a person that you will never meet.

Before this gets too Minority Report… we have no idea how accurate these faces are. These faces are essentially a best guess from the available information. Even something as simple as determining eye color based on DNA can prove harder than you’d imagine. “There’s an 80% chance that this person has brown eyes and 20% chance that they have green eyes. You have to make that call.”

The faces were determined based on looking at just three traits – gender, eye color, and maternal ethnicity. Heather plugs this info into a piece of software she developed, which then creates a series of potential faces from this information. She then picks the face that looks the most interesting. Essentially, it’s russian roulette with an identikit programme.

Realistically, the chances of the 3D print looking anything like the real face are fairly minuscule, but the fact that we can already draw a line (admittedly a very loose line, but still) between a dropped cigarette and a person, and that we can recreate that vision in such detail, is scarily amazing:

Heather Dewey-Hagborg - Stranger Visions - Face Heather Dewey-Hagborg - Stranger Visions - FacesHeather Dewey-Hagborg - Stranger Visions - Face & BoxHeather Dewey-Hagborg - Stranger Visions - Box

(via and via)

Read Full Post »

Monochrome

Beautiful black/white juxtaposition in this incredible  photo of a man feeding the swans on a snowy river bank in Krakow, by Polish photographer Marcin Ryczek:

Swans in the snow - Marcin Ryczek(via)

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »